Question
Posted by: ANONIMOUS | 2012-06-12

PIMPLES

HI DOC
MY PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE A LOT OF PIMPLES I HAVE TRYED A LOT OF EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS BUT NOTHING WORKS FOR ME. MY SKIN IS JUST LEFT WITH BLACK MARKS WHERE THE PIMPLE WAS IM SO ASHAMED OF MYSELF I HATE LOOKING AT MY FACE. PLS HELP ME WHAT CAN I USE TO GET RID OF THESE PIMPLES
THANK U FOR LISTENING.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymous, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net, as one would need to examine the skin before deciding on the best treatment options. From your description, it seems that you are developing post inflammatory pigmentation as a result of the acne lesions. Your approach should be to consult with a dermatologist who can prescribe the correct treatment regime. Treatment is dependent on the severity or grade of acne – you can grade your acne on my webpage: www.dralek.co.za (look for the Skin & Acne Classification Tab) and from there a list of the appropriate treatments for each grade can be found.

I have listed your at home regime below as this will help minimise the appearance of the ‘black marks’:
Acne Skin Care Guide and At Home Treatment Recommendations:

Do NOT pop, squeeze or pick at acne as this can make acne worse by spreading inflammation. With medical treatment, removing lesions is rarely necessary;however, when comedo removal is needed, it should be performed by an experienced healthcare professional.
Gently wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser and pat dry. Acne is not caused by poor hygiene, and vigorous washing and scrubbing will not clear your skin. In fact, scrubbing, exfoliating, and using hard brushes or granules can irritate your skin and make the acne worse.
Use “noncomedogenic” (does not clog pores) cosmetics and toiletries. When buying cosmetics and other products that you will use on your skin or hair, be sure to look for ones labeled “noncomedogenic.” Makeup, sunscreen and toiletries that are not likely to cause acne state that they are “noncomedogenic” on the product.
Avoid aggravating your acne:
Oily hair, sporting equipment that rubs against your skin and airborne grease—all can irritate and make your acne worse.
Ways you can avoid these situations include:
If you have oily hair, keep it off your face and wash it daily.
Avoid using hair care products that contain oil, such as pomades and gels.
Wear cotton clothing or moleskin under sporting equipment to avoid skin-to-equipment contact.

Give acne products enough time to do their job. As a rule of thumb, it takes 6 to 8 weeks before you begin to see an improvement.
Use medications as directed. Using more medication than directed will not improve results. In fact, it can make acne worse by aggravating the skin. Be sure to read all labels and use accordingly or as instructed by a dermatologist.
Avoid excess exposure to sunlight, and do not use tanning booths or sun lamps. Contrary to popular belief, tanning does not clear acne; it simply masks acne. Tanning also increases one’s risk of developing melanoma and other skin cancers. Additionally, some acne treatments can increase the skin's sensitivity to sunlight and ultraviolet light from tanning booths and sun lamps. If you have acne, it is important to protect your skin by following sun-protection practices, such as wearing sunscreen and avoiding sunburns.

If after following these guidelines, you are not satisfied with the results from your acne treatment, be sure to see a dermatologist. Today, almost every case of acne can be cleared, especially with a dermatologist's help.

3
Posted by: Carla | 2012-06-19

Good Day
I''ve been diagnosed with acne, i''ve received anti biotic treatment, i''m currently on the Minerva contraception for my skin but i hate the contraception. is it advicable for me to just go off the pill, and will it worsten my condition.

Miss C

Reply to Carla
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012-06-17

Avoid aggravating your acne:

Reply to anti-ageing expert
Posted by: Michelle Armstrong | 2012-06-13

Dear Anonimous
I am sure the Doc will give you some good advice - but you may need to see a Dermatologist. I am not sure what expensive products you have tried- but we would like to send you a starter pack if Eucerin. please email me on Michelle.Armstrong@Beiersdorf.com

Reply to Michelle Armstrong