Question
Posted by: Clinton | 2012-05-05

Pilocarpine 5mg tablets to treat Xerostomia (Dry Mouth)

Hi, Is Pilocarpine a legal (registered) drug in South Africa.

I suffer with dry mouth and cannot get Pilocarpine in South Africa. Can I import this drug for my personal use with a prescription from a South African physician/medical practioner.

Thanks..
Clinton

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Clinton

Pilocarpine is available in SA, but only for ophthalmic use (to the best of my knowledge) and several eye drops containing this active is marketed locally.

Re ordering from overseas:
Ordering medicine from overseas using an online pharmacy is - in most cases - is often not legal and frowned upon. However, should your specialist feel that this treatment is the only viable option for you, special permission can be applied for via the DOH/MCC to import the required product.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012-05-07

Hi Clinton

Re ordering from overseas:

Reply to pharmacist