Question
Posted by: Astro | 2008/05/28

Pills b4 pregnancy to avoid complication

I recently went to the gynae for an annual checkup, and asked about going off the pill to start trying for a baby.
We would like to start trying next year, so asked when I would need to go off the pill (heard stories of needing to go off for 3-6 months for it to clear out your system before you start trying)
The Dr said we could try immediately after stopping the pill, but said I need to see him 3 months before we start trying to put me on a type of medication to avoid complications etc. Can you tell me more about this, what is it for, what does it do and is it essential? Non of my friends have been on any meds before trying.
I have never been pregnant and havent had any problems.

This is probably folate - it prevents spina bifida in the baby when you do conceive.

1
Posted by: flower | 2008/05/28

Hi Astro

Well i am 30 years old and pregnant with our first son. 20 weeks pregnant. I was on the pill for over 16 years and stopped in November 2007 and found out I was pregnant end of January. So it happened really quick for me.

The medication that they are talking about is Folic Acid. It costs roughly R6 for 100 tablets, really cheap but really importnat to take it. It helps with the baby in his/her early development stages. There is a illness called Bino Fida, i could have spelled it wrong, but it is i think when a baby is born with an open spine? But by you taking Folic Acid will help prevent this.

Folic acid is found in your normal pregnancy multivitamin, but usually when you only start the multivitamin at 12 weeks as the high iron content in the multivitamin causes you to have worse morning sickness. So the only thing you need to take before falling pregnant is folic acid and drink it every day till you are 12 weeks.

You do not need a prescription for it and you can get it over the counter at any pharmacy.

good luck

Reply to flower