Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/07/07

PILES

Dr bets

I have had a piles problem for years and recently it really got to me - it seemed to flare up quite badly. I have in the past used Proctosedyl ointment which my surgeon who diagnosed my condtion prescribed, but recently found I battled to use the ointment because I cant insert the cannula. Then last week I thought how stupid I am, I should be using the suppositories instead. My gp didnt hesitate to give me a script last week for it and I used them for the 6 prescribed (2 x day) and it worked wonders! I knew the suppositories would give same (actually better relief, because the suppositories are far easier to use!) because I had used the ointment. When I get the swelling problems, it distresses me so much, my bum stings and its sore and incredibly uncomfortable and when I go to the loo its also sore after passing stools. My question is how long is it going to be before it all flares up again, i.e. will the suppositories only work for a long or short while, or will all be back again soon? My main reason for not wanting to use the suppositories all the time is the cost, otherwise I think I would gladly use them every day to avoid the stress of the problem coming back!

I am going on 2/8 for my blood test and wondered if I should get another script!

Thanks for the help.

Dear anxious
It depends on whether you are constipated or whether you cough a lot etc whether the piles will recur quickly - it should not happen too often?