Question
Posted by: Tamia | 2012-02-04

Pilates - at what age can one start?

I am 13 years and 3 months. I attended a pilates class at gym today and the class was informed by the instructor that pilates is only for 14 year olds and above. I did not ask the question if I should continue or not. Please advise.

HI Tamia

Pilates at 13 is fine, no problem. In fact, most things are fine, when done in a controlled and careful way. The instructors and the gym may have other reasons for not wanting children there (you'll probably find that it's a litigation thing, worried about injury and absence of parental supervision and so on because they'll be liable), but from a physical point of view, there's no reason at all that you should not be able to do Pilates. It's not hugely weight bearing, it's not excessive load and it's certainly not dangerous (or that is, more risky than it is for anyone else). So I'd appeal, ask for special permission, or else get off and do some sessions by yourself for those frustrating 9 months. I think you're up against policy here, not physiology.

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-02-17

HI Tamia

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2012-02-07

I am sure your age is fine. In fact I think it is very good for youngsters to do pilates.

I go to a very good pilates instructor, going tomorrow morning and I will ask her about the age.

Maybe it is a gym rule. Why dont u ask the management at the gym about that rule. Maybe the instructor doesnt want to teach younger children

Reply to Tinkerbell