Posted by: shelly | 2009-05-18

Pilates after surgery

I had an Adb hysterectomy on the 25th March 09, the uterus was attached to my bladder so they had to loosen the two and the Gynae also took out my appendix which was large and inflammed. I followed Drs instructions and rested for the 6 weeks, at 7 weeks I had my 6 week check up and the Gynae gave the go ahead to start walking on the treadmill and to do some cycling, but the cycling really hurts and pulls so I have stopped, I just walk for 40 minutes 3 times a week. When can I start doing pilates and tummy exercises to form up the tummy. I am still wearing a tight panty as it feels uncomfortable without it, I need that support. The tummy is still swollen I know he said it could take 3 months before it is back to normal. I am just scared to excercise and I cause damage that will cause problems later in life. Having the hysterectomy done was the best thing ever the back pain and hip pain is all gone as the uterus was very enlarged. I have been told I will have to watch my weight as you can gain weight easily after this op, or is it all what you put in your mouth, I am about 5 kg over weight at the moment.

You have to take things slowly and listen to your body. Start the Pilates but tell your instructor about your operation and build up the exercises slowly. Walking is a good idea.
Weight gain is more of an issue if your ovaries were removed as well.