Posted by: smooth | 2009-08-05

pigment/sun screen/eye gel - parabens

hi doc pls help with a few ?
1. I try to avoid creams with too many parabens/chemicals etc so was wondering what sunscreen you can recommend for me, female age 35 with a bit of pregnancy related pigmentation, i am not on any contraceptives, my pigment has improved after the birth of 2nd child and i use a sunscreen all the time, which is the best and what factor do i need, i only go into the sun before 11 and at 3 for about 30 min a time, in summer i swim a bit more .
2. what can i use to treat acne related brown marks? i have acne since stoppin pill at my age!!!
3. i have a rather oily skin esp the T panel, with breakouts and was wondering what is your opinion on the oily skin NATURAL range at woolies, i tried it for 4 months now and my acne is half better than before, i also dont have that much oil midday like before when using annique which was too many things to put on and left an oily residue which my skin seems to hate!
4. Lastly i have MS and have had optic neuritis, i am therefore scared to put things near my eyes in case i cause a problem, can i use environ eye gel without worrying about optic neuritis? i use it far away from the eye lid but see it stl has parabens, any other more natural one you could recommend to eliminate my fear of chemicals near the eyes? surely with long term use every day these chemicals do get into the eye??? but i also dont want crow' s feet that the problem?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Smooth, thank you for the question.

In my opinion parabens that are found in topical products are in such small quantities that they pose no danger to us. We tend to forget that parabens are found naturally in a large number of food groups, such as fruits and vegetables. These naturally occurring parabens tend to be in a higher concentration than topical products and at the end of the day I firmly believe one does not need to be concerned. In addition, the American Cancer Society has concluded that there is no good scientific evidence to support a claim that use of cosmetics such as antiperspirants increases an individual's risk of developing breast cancer.

As far as I know the Heliocare Gel SPF 50 is paraben free and my advice is to apply the SPF several times a day to ensure maximum coverage at all times.

I cannot find the ingredients used in the Woolworth’s range and as such am unable to give an accurate comment but if the range is working for you there is no need to change.

Your best option for Crow’s Feet is to consider Botox; I have a number of patients with MS that are treated with Botox as there is no concern or contra indication in treating patients with MS. Once again I cannot find a concern with parabens and MS and you can safely continue with the Environ range.
However, Dr.Hauschka’s range of topical products are 100% natural and most of the products (including the eye care range) are paraben free.