Posted by: Loula | 2009-02-12

Pigmentation marks

Since my son' s birth 10 years ago I got terrible pigmentation marks on my cheeks. I have tried various products none which helped. I have been to see a dermatoligist and even the cream he recommended did not help. I have been to 4 microdarmebrasion sessions which is very expensive and has not seen any improvement. I have realized that the pigmentation marks is due to hormonal changes in my body. When I have my periods it either become very light or go very brown. At the end of my period they are back to normal. I have tried various vitamin tables for skin, nails and hair. Even this has done nothing. Someone advised me to use the Diane-35 contraceptive pill. Just to mention that I am 43 years old and have an IUD in as a contraceptive. Can you please advise whether using the Diane-35 is a good thing and that it might help clearing the pigmentation. Other then that my skin is looking quite good as I drink a lot of water and eat very healthy.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Loula, thank you for the question.

Pigmentation that is aggravated or associated with hormonal changes is known as Melasma or Chloasma (Mask of Pregnancy).

Dianne is a good oral contraceptive for treating acne but should NEVER be used in a patient suffering from Melasma as this will increase the pigmentation. Furthermore, microdermabrasion will not help Melasma and my advice would not to do any more microdermabrasion treatments.

This form of pigmentation is not easy to treat but a number of options do exist.
Your treatment options are as follows:

Topical Regime:
SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide applied several times daily (my personal preference is Heliocare)
Sun avoidance (hat, umbrella, etc.)
NeoStrata Renewal Cream (Vitamin A), Ultra Smoothing Day Cream, Pigment Lightening Gel, and Brightening Cream SPF 15.
NeoStrata Glycolic Acid Peels with booster pads (3 to 6 months)

Technology Based Treatments:
Laser (Fraxel, Ultrapulse FX, Palomar Starlux 500)
IPL and Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron eMax or eLight)
Please note that results are operator dependent and treatment for Melasma should be performed by a medical doctor only with experience in treating this form of pigmentation.

Your best option would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic practitioner with a special interest in treating various forms of pigmentation. More information on Melasma and its treatment may be found on my web page:

Posted by: Dr Alek Nikolic | 2009-02-17

The Mosaic is as effective as the other lasers I have mentioned.

Reply to Dr Alek Nikolic
Posted by: Merena | 2009-02-14

I have heard of a treatment Mosaic whic is done by plastic surgeons, is this effective?

Reply to Merena