Question
Posted by: Lola | 2009/12/17

Pigmentation and waxing (again)

Thank you for the response

My doctor did blood tests and determined that my progesterone levels were a bit high and therefore she recommended Diane. Do you agree with this course of action?

Also, I use Clinique and the consultant recommended Even Better Skin Tone Corrector for the pigmentation, again, do you agree?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lola, thank you for getting back to me.

If the pigmentation is only due to acne (and sun exposure of these inflamed lesions) then the Dianne will help reduce further outbreaks and as such reduce future pigmentation changes. The current pigmentation you have should be addressed with the topical regimes I mentioned in the first answer. One may need to add skin rejuvenation technology (Fraxel, Syneron, etc.) to enhance the pigment removal affect.

Your best approach would be to let me know what the cause of the pigmentation is or if this is not known then to have a consultation with a dermatologist. The raised progesterone levels may indicate a reason for the acne outbreaks but may not indicate or be the direct cause of the pigmentation.

Generally speaking commercially available (big brand) topicals contain low concentrations of active ingredients so my advice would be to try the NeoStrata products mentioned in the first answer as higher concentrations of the active ingredients are found. Furthermore, there are no studies that indicate the effectiveness of Even Better Skin Tone Corrector, and Clinique’s webpage does not list the products ingredients.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2009/12/21

Reply to anti-ageing expert