Question
Posted by: Lola | 2009-12-15

Pigmentation and waxing

I have pigmentation all around my mouth and next to my nose. My doctor recommended I use Diane 35. Will this help?
Also, I wax my upper lip, does this aggravate the pigmentation? And if it does, what are my options concerning unwanted facial hare?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lola, thank you for the question.

One would need to determine the cause of the pigmentation before deciding on the appropriate treatment regime. If the pigmentation is caused due to acne outbreaks then Diane will help to reduce the appearance of acne and therefore reduce the inflammatory effect of these lesions (one of the reasons for pigmentation developing).

However, one would also need to consider a good topical regime to further help control pores and the sebum production as well as using a SPF several times daily (50 or higher, oil free, and must contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide).

If the pigmentation is caused by sun damage or by hormonal changes (Melasma) then the use of Dianne will not help and may even aggravate the pigmentation.

Further inflammatory conditions on the skin should be avoided on the upper lip (such as waxing) as this may increase the pigmentation. Hair removing creams may be an option for you, but at the end of the day, we need to determine the cause to decide on an appropriate treatment regime.

Irrespective of the cause a daily SPF (as described above) and the use of sun avoidance (as much as possible) and topical depigmenting creams (NeoStrata’s Brightening Cream & Pigment Lightening Gel) should be where your treatment regime starts.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2009-12-17

Hi Lola, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert