Posted by: Natasha | 2010-09-28

Pigmentation and blemishes

Hi Doc,

Wonder if you can help me out with a referral of a good dermatologist in JHB North area or some strong advice on a good product. I am 30 and since I went on the pill about 5 years ago I have developed terrible pigmentation on my forehead, around my eyes and lips. I have changed my prescription about 4 times and am on Minnes at the moment which they say is the lightest. I have tried Bio-oil, Dermologica for pigmentation (and I am currently using their cleanser, toner, face cream and lip and eye cream) and I have tried Lumedia from Metropolitan as well which cost me a fortune. It did not take it away but I am sure it was lighting it and at R1200 per bottle (it did last 12 months so not so bad) I found something that I thought could work but now it is discontinued and I am back to square one.

I don''''t just want to go on any product but something that really could work. And I wont be able to afford over a R1000 for a bottle of something that only last me 3 months and does not show the results it should. So hence why I am looking for some advice or hoping that maybe a dermatologist could help me out.

It is terrible having random people ask me, Sjoe, have you been on holiday or something that you got burnt like that. Like they constantly think I am peeling after a long lovely holiday. Don''''t mind the holiday but sjoe.....

Please help.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Natasha, thank you for the question.

My advice would be to see Dr Marian Duvenage (Pretoria (012) 460 4646) or Dr Judy Budavari (Jhb. (011) 325 5007).

You have a number of options for the pigmentation but ultimately one would need to examine the skin before deciding on the best treatment options. From your description it seems you have developed Melasma (hormonally induced pigmentation).
Melasma is not ‘curable’ one can only manage the pigmentation so that it is less visible.

The first and most important topical approach is a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide (Heliocare Gel) and to practice sun avoidance as much as possible (wearing hats, using an umbrella, etc.). Topical products such as NeoStrata’s Pigment Lightening Gel (night time) and Brightening Cream (day time) and adding Lumixyl will give the best long term results.

Posted by: Natasha | 2010-10-04

Good morning Doc,

Thank you for your advice and being honest that it is not really curable. I have been having that suspicion for a while but every time I approach a salon to help me they always have this miracle cream that will take it away… they promise.
I will get in contact with the doctor you referred and get some products to manage the melasma.

Enjoy your week.

Reply to Natasha