Question
Posted by: SM | 2012/01/25

Pigmentation?

Hi doc, I am a 51 yr old indian male and over the yeas have always had a problem with cold sores which once cleared left a mark on my lips. The scars appear to have burned the skin which is unsightly and appears white as I am dark skinned. Any help on getting my colour back. I use activir for cold sores.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi SM, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would ideally like to examine the skin and even perform a VISIA skin analysis to verify if viable pigment can be found in the deeper layers of the skin.

Generally speaking this type of inflammatory induced hypopigmentation (loss of pigment) is very difficult to reverse if not impossible. There are some specialised lasers on the market (308-nm Excimer laser) that help bring the pigment back (mostly used for Vitiligo sufferers) so your best advice would be to make a consultation with a dermatologist who can then direct you to the appropriate laser centre. I would also strongly consider to have Zelitrex tablets (or similar) at hand and as soon as you feel any fever blister symptoms (tingling, burning, itchiness, etc. – before the ulceration is seen) is to immediately start the Zelitrex course. Furthermore one should stay out of the sun during the healing phase and use a good SPF.

2
Posted by: Ben | 2012/01/31

Hi Doc, can you refer me to a dermatologist in Pietermaritburg, KZN. Thanks

Reply to Ben
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/01/26

Hi SM, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert