Posted by: carol-ann | 2009-08-12

How do I get rid of pigmentation? Do i go for a peel or laser treatment.

Hallo Carol-ann
It depends on how bad it is - rather see a dermatologist for this as the wrong treatment may cause scarring of the skin

Posted by: tiffany | 2009-08-12

I have been having treatment for some time now for melasma ( hyperpigmentaton) i am in europe and it seems hydroquinone is the treatment of choice here, but i cant say it does much :( in the past i had really good results with Microdermabrasion. I did about 5 sessions and it was all gone. unfortunately from what i understand it will return if you are still exposed to the sun. i use an spf 50+ everyday now and always wear a cap when i go out into the sun. It is getting a lot better since having taken those precautions. Be sure that when you do decided on a treatment you do it in winter as summer time will be counter productive. I' d suggest you see a dermatologist, as there are some other diseases ie Lypus erythematosus which usually presents with a red rash on the face ( malar/ butterfly rash) but some people present with the appearance of pigmentation. although this is uncommon, its best not to take chances.Your dermatologist will also evaluate the severity of the pigmentation and decide on the most appropriate treatment choice. Do not rely on beauty therapists to tell you what to do in this case. While there are great therapists with loads of experience and training in this field, it' d best not to take any risks as you could also end up worsening the problem with post inflamatory' s a minefield ! Good luck...and remember...sun block !

Reply to tiffany