Posted by: Shell | 2009-02-27

I may have asked this question some time back but after scanning through ALL posts I realised its no longer here!

After taking several hormones as a part of the IVF procedure I developed a mustache looking pigment. Its terrible and Im desperate to get rid of it.

The babies are now out so I can use the strong stuff! Please tell me what would help.

Thanks a mil in advance!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Shell, thank you for the question.

You have a number of options but your best approach would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the area and advise you on the best treatment options.

Melasma usually presents as confluent or large uninterrupted areas of pigmentation on the cheeks, upper lip and forehead. Even though this form of pigmentation is commonly associated with hormonal changes, there are patients that present with Melasma with no direct link to these hormonal changes.

Your typical approach to treating pigmentation is as follows:
Topical Products:
A day and night moisturizer that contains glycolic acid and other alpha hydroxyl acids.
A good SPF (30 or greater) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.
Sun avoidance as much as possible (use a hat when in the sun).
Skin lightening creams that contain mandelic acid, citric acid, Mulberry Root extracts and kojic acid. This may be mixed with hydroquinone 2% (over the counter) or 4% or higher (prescription only).
The above regime should be used in conjunction with glycolic acid and mandelic acid peels. Krulig’s peels have been used with great success in removing or lightening pigmentory changes since 1995.
The above ingredients can be found with the NeoStrata range.

Skin Rejuvenation Technologies (unless the pigmentation is Melasma and in particular dermal Melasma):
Your choice here is:
Laser (Fraxel does have FDA approval for Melasma pigmentation removal).
IPL (Ellipse)
IPL and Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron eMax or eLight)
Skin rejuvenation technologies may be coupled with the above, and should be started a month before skin rejuvenation, to further enhance the effect.
Typically these technologies can give a 85 to 95 % clearance.

Posted by: Dr Alek Nikolic | 2009-03-21

Hi Technigirl.
Please submit your question directly to me under the main anti-ageing expert forum.

Reply to Dr Alek Nikolic
Posted by: technigirl | 2009-03-04

I have brown/liver/age spots on my legs and I don' t want to wear shorts anymore

Reply to technigirl