Posted by: susan | 2009-02-24

Afternoon anti-ageing expert. What is the differance between LED therapy and Microdermabrasion and which will you recommend is the best for pigmentation marks? Ive been using Danne Montague skin brightening cream for 2 weeks now, which is suppose to get rid of pigmentation. (How long must i use this before i will be able to see a differance in my skin?)
I also use danne montague spf 30 sunscreen daily, before i started using danne montague products i used regima products.
I am a student, so i do not have R10 000 to spend on skin renewal treatments which apparently takes away pigmentation marks completely.
Can you please recommend a treatment which i can do once a month that will take away the pigmentation?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Susan, thank you for the question.

LED therapy (which is also known as photo dynamic therapy - PDT) is used for the treatment of certain skin cancers, pre malignant lesions, pigmentation or sun damage, and for rejuvenating the skin. To achieve the desired results a solution known as ALA needs to be applied to the skin for at least an hour before the PDT treatment. A well known PDT technology is named: Omnilux. This form of treatment is either performed once or twice with excellent results and prices are usually around R 1,500.00 full face per session.

Microdermabrasion is a skin-freshening technique that helps repair facial skin that takes a beating from the sun and the effects of aging. A device like a fine sandblaster to spray tiny crystals across the face is used, mixing gentle abrasion with suction to remove the dead, outer layer of skin. As with other skin rejuvenation techniques, more than one treatment may be needed (usually multiple) to reduce or remove fine wrinkles and unwanted pigmentation. Typically only superficial pigmentation will respond to this form of treatment.

In my opinion the best way to remove pigmentation is with the use of laser or IPL or IPL with bi-polar radiofrequency.
I understand your financial predicament and as with all treatments we do need to make a financial decision first. My advice is to consider using NeoStrata Glycolic acid peels with the booster pads (monhly basis) and the NeoStrata Pigmentation Lightening Gel and the Brightening Cream SPF 15 (as we have had excellent results with this form of treatment).

As with any pigmentation removal treatment a good SPF is vital and one should consider using a factor 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide applied several times daily (my personal preference is Heliocare Gel SPF 50). A topical regime will take between 2 to 6 months before a good improvement is noticed.