Posted by: Rienie | 2009-02-18

Hi dr.

Ek het bruin vlekke aan die kant van my gesig en ook op my hande, arms en bene. Ek gebruik Garnier pigmentasieroom (net op my gesig). Ek wend dit soggens en saans aan op ' n skoon vel en dan my Vit E olie en Garnier dag- of nagroom. Gebruik ek dit in die regte volgorde? Na amper 3 maande is daar nog geen verbetering. Ek het ' n baie droë  vel en sonder die Vit E olie voel my vel baie styf.

Baie dankie.

Trudie Gauteng.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Rienie, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my answer but I was in Johannesburg training doctors and only arrived in Cape Town last night.

Your best option is to see an aesthetic practitioner or a cosmetic dermatologist who can examine the pigmentation marks and advise you on the best treatment options. A number of possibilities exist including topical products (such as NeoStrata Pigmentation Lightening Gel & Brightening Cream SPF 15), chemical peels, and technology based treatments. One must use a good SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Posted by: Fran | 2009-02-23

Most people will tell you that off-the-shelf creams for pigmentation do not work unless you go for an Estee Lauder or other cream from a top cosmetic house. To really get results, rather go to a dermatologist for a consultation and let him advise you what creams to use. You will also be told to use a very high sun protection factor cream on your face every single day. That is most probably going to help more than any of the creams that are advertised to fade pigmentation marks.

Reply to Fran