Posted by: the mask | 2008-11-19

pigment on face

I am a middle aged woman. Since my third pregnancy I have had light brown pigment on my forehead and cheeks extending down either side of my neck. I was told at the time it was the mask of pregnancy and that it took a long time to go away. 20 years?. More recently someone told me I might have lupus because of this and the fact that i have a lot of unexplained pain.Then someone else said (office talk!) that I could have polycystic ovaries and did I have painful periods when I menstruated. Well yes i did but am perimenipausal now..
Can you explain this mask?

Dear the Mask
This is called "melasma" and is hormone related, can also be due to thyroid disease. The best would be to see a dermatologist - they can look for causes and also suggest the best treatment. It is dangerous to self treat as things like skin lighteners can damage and discolour the skin more
dr Bets