Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2008/09/10

Pigeon toed

Hi there, my son is 4 years, was diagnosed with downsyndrome after birth. I know with ds the ligaments and joints etc are " looser"  then kids without ds, and can be prone to the legs, knees turning in. His physio says that she does not believe that his problem has to do with his hips but it' s actually his feet that tend to turn in the one side more than the other, his paeditrician also said the same thing that he is " pigeon toed"  he currently wears insteps and (flat footed from low muscle tone) that helps to some degree, but if he has no shoes on he walks and runs with his feet turned in towards each other, do you have any advice or help for me please.

Thanks Tracey

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Tracey

You will probably find that in time the ligaments do become tighter and there is an increase in muscle tone that will help with an in-toeing gait. A lot of children at this age seem to toe in quite a bit which gets better as they grow a bit older. Insoles can help but children at this age often go barefoot which does not help! It seems from your letter that his feet do not bother him and that he walks and runs. I would suggest that you leave things as they are and assess it as you go along.

Chris