Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-09-28

Pierced Ears

Dear Doc,

I have had pierced ears for many years but have not worn earings for a while. Last week I decided to put earings in again and had for force them in a bit because the holes were closing but not completely closed. I used surgical steel earings and did not have surgical spirits so cleaned my ears daily with undiluted Detol. Now the skin on my entire earlobe front and back and up my ear is hard and almost crusty like. Could this be an infection or could it perhaps be that my skin is too sensitive for the Detol? What can I do/use to clear this up.

Thank you for your advice.

The Detol is too strong and causes dehydration of the skin. Therefore, use surgical spirits and apply re-hydrating cream to the areas above the piercings.

Posted by: jskr | 2009-10-01

Salt water or a saline solution is the best method for clenaing piercings...Surgical spirits keeps the wounds open and doesn' t allow time to heal.

Reply to jskr