Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2010/09/01

Pie

Hi there, I just want to know more or less the calorie count of a home made pie? I know shop pies are very oily but I use very little oil. I want to make a chicken pie- skinless fillets cut up into chunks with mushrooms and a tin of mixed veggies, fried in a tiny bit of oil, then add some white sauce that you make from those powder packet sauces. For the pastry I use two rolls of puff pastry. The dish is a bit shallow, about 20cm. I use Olive oil spray. Will this be unhealthy?

Dear Lauren
According to the SA Food Tables, commercial chicken pie contains 1620 kJ per 100 g. If you use only skinless chicken breasts and add all the vegetables you should be able to reduce the energy content by about 40% down to approx. 1000 kJ per 100 g. If you eat a 100g portion of this pie together with a salad for a main meal, then this should certainly not be unhealthy and the energy content will not exceed 2100 kJ/main meal which you would need to ingest to lose weight.
Enjoy

1

Dear Lauren
Enjoy