Question
Posted by: bronny | 2008/03/19

Q.

pickled fish recipe

hi mommies

can you please help me with a pickled fish recipe?

4
user comments
Posted by: Annalene | 2008/03/19

Here is 2 recipes from FOOD 24

Pickled fish
Ingredients
10 large pieces hake fillet
seasoned flour
oil for frying
SAUCE
500 ml white vinegar
2 litre cold water
20 ml curry powder
5 ml turmeric
45 ml castor sugar
5 ml salt
dash of pepper
6 large onions, cut into rings

Method:
Dip fish in seasoned flour, shake off any excess and fry in hot oil until fish flakes easily. In a large saucepan, add vinegar and water, bring to the boil and stir in curry powder, turmeric, sugar, salt and pepper. Allow to cook for 10 minutes. Add onions and boil 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning, more sugar may be added if desired. Mix 15 ml cornflour with water and add to the sauce to thicken slightly. Place a layer of fish in dish and cover with sauce - layer until ingredients are finished. Leave in a cool place to mature for 7 days.

Recipe From : Ideas January 01, 1993
om Food 24

Greek pickled fish

Ingredients
800 g frozen hake fillets
45 ml olive or sunflower oil
1 lemon, juice
SAUCE
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
190 ml olive or sunflower oil
410 g chopped tomatoes
salt and coarsely ground black pepper
45 ml currants
5 ml mixed dried herbs
5 ml sugar
125 ml vinegar (white wine or white grape)
125 ml olive or sunflower oil
black olives (optional)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 190 °C and spray an ovenproof dish with non-stick spray or brush with a little oil. Halve each fish fillet lengthwise with a sharp knife. Arrange the fillets in a single layer in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with oil and lemon juice. Bake for about 35 minutes uncovered, until just done. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Fry the onions and garlic in the 190 ml oil until tender and fragrant. Add the tomatoes, salt and black pepper, currants, herbs and sugar and bring to the boil. Simmer slowly for three minutes. Add the vinegar and oil and simmer for another five minutes. Add the black olives if desired. Place the fish fillets in a plastic or glass dish (do not use a metal container) and pour the sauce over to cover. Leave in the fridge overnight so the flavours can develop. The fish will keep well in the fridge for up to five days.

Recipe From : YOU March 25, 1999

Reply to Annalene
Posted by: dene | 2008/03/19

Give me your e-mail addy i got a lot of receipies al kinds and very nice.

Reply to dene
Posted by: bronny | 2008/03/19

thanks barney. i will google it now. i was just hoping for the Cape Malay recipe. i'm also on my own this yearmy first attempt.

good luck to you

Reply to bronny
Posted by: Barney | 2008/03/19

hi
it's my first easter on my own so i'm also looking for the recipe. i googled it. most of them say you have to keep it for a week after you've prepared it. i'm going to make mine tomorrow night only.

try googling it. if you dont find one, give me your email addy i'll mail one to you.

Reply to Barney

Want to comment?