Question
Posted by: Deedee | 2010-08-30

Physio calves

Hi doc
I am a realatively new runner (been doing it about a year) and recently my calves started getting SO tight after a race it was impossible to run for days after a race.
I went to the physio and he said i have particularly tight/inflexible muscles that i need to stretch more often.

I am doing the two calve stretches he gave me but i was wodnering if there are others i should be doing and if i should add a fish oil/omega supplement to my morning mutlivitamin - would this help at all?

I love running but i get so frustrated when my legs seize up and hurt. Please help!

Hi Deedee

I would say that strengthening the calves is more important than stretching. If you do a static stretch, you're not really doing much in the longer term, whereas if you strengthen the calves, it will help them during the runs, because you'll probably find that this tightness is caused by the calves going into spasm. So my advice is to do calf-raises on the edge of a step, with your heel hanging off the back, and do three sets of 15 each day. They'll burn at first, so cut it at 10 if it's too sore, but that would be my suggestion (and I speak from experience, having the same issue as you!)

Ross