Posted by: Angelo | 2009-12-04

Physical Examination Course

I am hoping you might be able to help me, by providing some advice. A friend of mine recently met with the principal of a high school for boys in a rural area near Rustenburg. The principal said that he would like to arrange for his pupils to be medically screened because many of them have never been to see a doctor as the area where the school is located is very remote. In the meeting he was very specific, he said that he would like a number of things to be assessed, like his pupils'  cardiovascular systems (physical activities are limited at the school), lungs (many, he said, are prone to TB/pneumonia), abdomen (some boys lack good nutrition, etc), musculoskeletal systems , genitalia (he mentioned examinations for testicular cancer, Peyronies disease, STDs –  big problem at the school), nervous systems, head, neck and skin to be checked and biometrics taken for the record. My friend is an accountant with ABSOLUTELY NO medical background. She would like to do a crash course that will enable her to do all of the above, a course that will make her qualified to do all of the above... As I understand it, she wants to be able to do the physical examinations herself (like a volunteer), by going to the school, setting up a temporary workspace, meeting one-on-one with each boy, checking each one physically to see if there’ s anything wrong and then making recommendations as to which boys should see a doctor urgently and then she will arrange for them to go to the city for a consultation. She wants to do it long-term for other schools in the area. Do you perhaps know what crash course/courses she could do that will enable her to be qualified to do the physical examinations?

I would really appreciate any advice you can give as I think what she hopes to do is quite selfless and I think it would do a lot of good.

It is a very noble undertaking but unfortunately, there is no crash course in medicine. She will have to study nursing to have an insightful opinion and to understand the physical examination, as well as have a limited understanding of medicine and pathology. This will be the shortest course to undertake, in order to make her dreams come true.