Question
Posted by: Sabrina | 2010/10/12

Phsycological abuse

Can continuous shouting at child and using the ''f'' word and threatening to ''go away again'' have a negative effect on child. My neighbour has a house of horrors where everyone is always shouting and banging doors and breaking windows. The kids are always crying and I don''t know if I should say something. I suspect drug abuse as well. This is causing me a lot of stress as they are actually renting house from me.

Obviously it could have negaive effects on any child ( or any adult, for that matter ) - but fortunately, not necessarily permanent or lasting effects. It sounds like psychological abuse and possibly combined with neglect, especially if drug abuse is part of the picture. You could be expected legally to have some responsibility for reporting either posibility, especially if the property belongs to you. Call CHild Welfare and discuss your concerns - they should be able to accept an anonymous tipoff ( I'd guess many other people will have heard the row ) ; and maybe ask their advice as to whether to consider a further anonymous tip-of to the police if drug abuse and drug-dealing is considered possible - though Child Welfare may be even better placed to do that, after they have intervened to check on the safety of the children

4
Posted by: Sabrina | 2010/10/12

Thanks for that - who must it be reported to - police or welfare officials?

Reply to Sabrina
Posted by: R | 2010/10/12

It is emotional abuse.
If we don''t take a stand when we see these things, what happens to these kids? They become the criminals in society, because of the anger, hatred, and lack of any sort of love and positive attention.

Reply to R
Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/12

It''s law now that if you know about abuse, you must let authorities know. Report the parents anonymously. It''s the right thing to do..

Reply to Woman