Question
Posted by: daisy | 2009-03-02

Phlegm

Good day

I have a lot of phlegm in my throat that is coming from the nose, the pharmacist gave me Sinumax Allergy tables last week to decongest the nose, this has not really helped much. Then i went to the dr who gave me travelox antibiotic which i finished yesterday but still have the phlegm. I am using saline solution daily but this is not helping me much. Can you recommend something I can buy over the counter to get rid of the phlegm as I sometimes feel that I cannot breathe?

Your help will be appreciated.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Daisy,

What you need is a mucolytic - A product with the sole purpose of breaking down phlegm. You can combine this with some allergex tablets (1 3 times a day) to dry up a postnasal drip.