Question

Pharyngitis and Laryngitis

Dear CyberDoc

My GP diagnosed me with Pharyngitis and Laryngitis today and prescribed the antibiotic Klacid XL (2 tablets per day with an Inteflora tablet accompanying it). Upon getting home I started fearing when I saw that it is also a type of Erythromycin. Previously when I used the actual Erythromycin I started vomiting stomach acid and thought I was going to die that morning. Is Klacid XL the same, is it going to make me vomit again?

Accompanying the antibiotic and Inteflora is Andolex spray, Myprodol (should apparently take this before going to bed) and ACC200.

Thank you doctor.

Klacid XL is a type of Erythromycin and can cause these side-effects. I therefore, suggest that you consult your doctor for an alternative antibiotic. 90% of cases are viral and should subside spontaneously.

The other medication is safe to use and will alleviate your symptoms.