Question
Posted by: Thinline | 2009-02-22

Pharmacy won' t dispense Omnopon

I suffer from chronic pain (Reiters) and a doctor prescribes 8 amps of Omnopon for me per month so I can have two pain free days a week. I do not take in other addictive drugs, I used to buy have stopped all opiods. This month the dose was divided into two (1st script on 6 Feb), and when I took the second script to the pharmacy (it was for 6 amps) they refused to dispense it saying I already got some on the 6th of the month (I did get 4 amps that day). This new script was taken to the pharmacy yesterday (21 Feb) as I am going on holiday next week and need to get the medication before I go as I' m unable to sit in a car for more than 20 minutes at a time and our car journey will be about 4 hours. I felt so humilitated, they treated me like a drug addict at the pharmacy - they say they have " red-flagged"  me. I do understand the dangers of taking such high scheduled drugs, but surely with a genuine script, and always using the same doctor and pharmacy - it is obvious I' m not " doctor shopping"  and " drug seeking" . Please could you explain the reason behind them not dispensing the drug, and how can I prevent problems like this in the future.
Many thanks.

Expert ImagePharmacist

These guys seems a little TOO STRICT. If you simply have a look your prior prescriptions for 8 that should good enough proof that you use more than 4 vials in a month. Explain to them that you doctor wanted to divide your dose this month in 2 doses - one dose of 4 and a 2nd of 6. Otherwise they should pohone the doctor to clear any concerns they may have. It is your right to get your medication, and they have to phone your doctor on your request.

Otherwise, simply go to another pharmacy - Preferably one inside a private hospital who will stock omnopon. You will almost surely get sorted there

Best of luck. Otherwise, give me a call and I'll see what I can arrange.