Question
Posted by: Tamra | 2008/09/18

PFB

I have pseudofolliculitis barbae in the bikini and lower tummy area, very depressing condition.

Was browsing the net and found pictures of patients with my very condition. This is the treatment they underwent -

" Treatment was performed using an 810-nm diode laser (20- to 30-millisecond pulse duration) at fluences of 30 to 40 J/cm2. Three treatments were performed at 6- to 8-week intervals. Results observed - Complete hair-growth delays of 3 to 8 weeks’ 
duration were produced, and a decrease in hair density of
greater than 50% was noted in all subjects 6 to 8 weeks
after the last laser treatment. All patients exhibited greater
than 50% improvement in the signs of pseudofolliculitis.
Preexisting pigmentary changes improved with therapy.' 

Doc, this sounds like exactly what I need. But can you tell me, is this type of laser treatment available here, what sort of price range are we looking at and is it suitable for black skin in particular? Plus how would I find out who does it best? I wouldn' t want a novice working on me :)

thanks, sorry for long moany post

Tam

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tam, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my answer.

The gold standard for hair removal is the diode laser but Nd:YAG lasers and Syneron’s combination IPL & Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (eLight) have a good record with hair removal. Furthermore the latter is safe to use on dark skin types.
Syneron’s eMax has a laser applicator using diode technology for the removal of hair and is safe if used on darker skin types. Specifically this is a 810 nm diode laser with combination bi-polar radiofrequency (10-50 J/cm³) and optical energy (10-50 J/cm²). My approach would be to consult a medical doctor who uses this machine for hair removal. Prices will vary from doctor to doctor and my advice would either to get a direct word of mouth referral or to phone Radiant Healthcare at (011) 794 8253 and ask them for a list of doctors (with this technology) who work close to you.

If you live in Cape Town please phone my rooms at (021) 797 0960 as we have both technologies available for the hair removal. I hope the above has helped and I wish you all of the best to remove the pseudo folliculitis barbae for good.