Posted by: Alan | 2009-04-26

Peyronie' s disease 2

Thank you, doctor. I can only see the defect when my penis is erect. The curvature of my penis is slight at the moment - I guess I'  m just worried if it might curve even more, so basically I just want my doctor to tell me if it is anything to be really worried about and take action or whether I can just go on leading my life. Does this mean that the doctor would have to examine my penis in an erect state? I am concerned about how the medical examination takes place. Could you please be more specific about the procedure? Thank you. Alan.

Dear Alan
The plaque of Peyronie's disease is visible and palpable whether the penis is flaccid or erect. Some specialists would prefer examination during erection to determine the severity of the curvature. They can induce erection by injecting medicine into the base if the penis. Ultrasound examination may be needed (usually done by the doctor himself) to evaluate blood flow through the penis.
Discuss with your doctor if a photo you take yourself at home during erection will be enough to avoid an examination in the erect state if this will be too uncomfortable for you.