Question
Posted by: Nic | 2010-07-08

Petrified of periods

Good day doctor....please can you offer some advise...I had a traumatic birth with my 2nd child (6 years ago) whereby I suffered placenta accreta. I was lucky in that only 3 weeks after I had her, did they realise the full extent, but the bleeding really was not that bad. After the uterine evac was the problem - I ended up bleeding horribly - was on a drip etc. But this was over within 2 days and life returned to normal until my periods returned a year later (was on injection and also had a cyst so no period for a while). My problem is that I am now petrified of blood (well blood coming from this part of the body anyway) and even though my monthly period is bang on time every month - and has been relatively light, although lasting as it always has for a full 7 days, I am like a nervous idiot throughout the whole thing very scared I will bleed too much. I remember as a teenager soaking through tampons and pad and having clots without a fear in the world, but now even though from the 3rd day onwards I only have to change the tampon every 6 hours and only one side of it is covered, I am afraid. Last month I nearly died of fright - there was a clot, but no heaviness (havent seen a clot in 7 years or so). What should I do - I cannot carry on like this? I dont want to go on the pill or injection as I love knowing when I ovulate and what my body is doing when....I am 34 yrs old.

I would suggest that you see a psychologist to help you overcome this fear.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-07-11

Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-10

Have you considered seing a psychologist who specialises in cognitive behavioural therapy? When you have a fear that you know is irrational, it might be a phobia, and CBT is very good with helping you deal with phobias (and depression and anger management and so on), its 8 sessions of practical things you can do to cope. Do a google search or look in the yellow pages to find someone in your area.

Its quite understandable that you feel this way though, you went through a traumatic experience, and this reminds you so strongly of it, I thnk most people would feel a sense of panic about it, so don''t think its odd, just accept that although you know you have no reason to fear having your period, it is causing fear for you. Perhaps also post to cybershrink.

Please change your tampon every 4 hours though to reduce the risk of toxic shock. IF a regular isn''t full, then change to mini when your flow lightens.

Another option would be sterilisation, but it sounds like this is not actually what you want.
The EVRA patch and the mirena both either give you really light periods or they stop completely, I know its not what you want, but might help in the interim.

Reply to Purple