Question
Posted by: Scared | 2010/01/17

Petrified of going to gynae!!!!!

Hi there. I am turning 23 years old soon and I' ve never been to the gynae. I am so scared but I know I have to go- I have problems that I' ve been trying to fix myself for years but it' s just getting worse. I am so embarrased about my problems and my stretchmarks. I also had an abortion when I was 17- will she/he ask about that? Will they be able to tell? Do they do the breast examination under the gown or sheet or do they look? Will there be other people in the room? What' s the actual procedure?

You should be honest about everything that has happened to you. You will be covered and each part that needs to be examined exposed as necessary. There is sometimes a nurse in the room as well. Try to choose someone that you will be comfortable with.

2
Posted by: WILLS | 2010/01/18

Oh, I know just how you feel. I was 29 when I first went to a gynae and after my first visit I couldn' t believe why I was so scared. If it makes you feel more comfortable, try and see a female gynae. You will have to tell the gynae everything, including the abortion details, so they know exactly how to help you with your problems. My gynae just opened part of my gown to examine my breasts and it was over in 30 seconds. You have nothing to worry about. Just listen to what they tell you and try and relax as much as possible. Good luck!

Reply to WILLS