Posted by: IBS | 2010-09-25

Dear Doc

I have previously written to you about my uncomfortable wet feeling in the anus, where you mentioned that I might have a rectal prolapse.

I have been to the GP and he told me after examination that it definitely is not that. He believes that my recent Cystoscopy and accompanying anaesthetic I had messed up my digestive system a bit, and he gave me Movicol laxative, LP299V and Topzole 40. He also advised me to drink a lot more water.

After my visit to him, and for the past month or two, I have had the following symptoms, which now truly makes me believe that I might have IBS after reading about cases of people who have the exact same problems and who were diagnosed with IBS:

1. Bowel movement feels incomplete when done.
2. A wet/vaseline feeling in the anus, yet nothing found upon inspection - area is dry (perhaps the irritated/inflamed tissue?).
3. A lot of wiping is needed after bowel movement.
4. Bloating/winds was once excessive but is now reduced with the probiotic, but still present.
5. Burning inside anus after bowel movement (due to spasms/spastic colon?)
6. Structure of faeces change between normal and paste-like.
7. The occurrence of a hemorrhoid (according to GP) which must have resulted from straining during recent episodes of constipation.

I think I need to get to a Gastroenterologist at some stage, but I have important exams coming up soon and just have to manage this for now. What can I do, and what is your opinion?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, you will have to consult a gastroenterologist for a full examination to have a proper diagnosis made. Ask you GP for a prescription of Ativan SL 1mg to assist you with your stress, as it might be possible that your symptoms are stress related.

Posted by: H | 2010-09-25

Hi. I get the same thing on and off. Keep taking your Probiotics and Movicol, and check what you are eating if it makes any difference. Like wheat, orange juice etc as I''ve found these 2 things set me off.

Reply to H