Question
Posted by: Lorette | 2008/08/20

Petogen

Hi Doc!

If Contraceptive injections will not cause any harm to the unborn baby - why is it noted on the warnings that one should not have the injectioni if pregnancy is suspected and or known.

I am on the injection for 6 weeks now, and I think I have made a mistake about my LMP when I had the injection. The clinic did not test if I was pregant before administrating the injection.

Lorette

Dear Lorette

In general, most pharmaceutical companies will have a disclaimer on the product, which is purely to protect them against future litigation. However from a medical perspective it is unlikely that any untoward harmful effects would derive from in advertent use of injections during pregnancy. However should you be worried, I would suggest that you do an urgent home pregnancy test to exclude this possibility.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim