Posted by: Dog &  Cat Mom | 2009-07-19

Doc, Daar is so baie honde en kat kos op die mark. My diere (2 honde en 2 katte) is almal op Hills, maar dit raak deesdae baie duur. Daar is verskeie SA " Brands"  wat nou op die mark verskyn en ek sal graag weet waarna moet ek kyk ten einde ' n goedkoper maar steeds goeie gebalanseerde Suid Afrikaanse kos vir hulle te kry.

Ek sal Ultradog vir jou honde aanbeveel. Daar is ongelukkig nie 'n goedkoop alternatief vir katte nie. Die raw diet waarvan Carol praat kan jy na kyk, baie argumente daarvoor en daarteen. Jy moet maar self besluit.

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-07-20

Hi Carol, I did contact you a few days ago but I just don' t seem to be able to get through to you (email i.e.) My dogs are all getting old , 2 are 10, 1 is 13, one is 11 and the youngest is 8. They do get chicken necks but I cook them and then chuck the 3 necks each plus the water its cooked in over the pellets. Its the pellets that are so expensive. I buy the horse powder for their bones) cheaper and three of them are on Rimadyl.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: steph | 2009-07-20

i have my dogs on the raw food diet as first my vet was dead set against it. but my male daxie was diagnosed with Congestive heart failure a year ago and after the change we have seen such amazing improvements and no deterioration which is great! even my vet has commented on the difference. the diet is really easy once you get used to it and much cheaper. i buy chicken necks, livers, hearts etc so the meat is not expensive and the quantites are really not a lot. i do use vit e supplements as well as Co Q10 though, but this may not be necessary with a younger pet.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Carol | 2009-07-20

Catlady me as I have said before .... the raw diet is much cheaper and my crew have been on it for 6 months now and look fantastic ... even my Vet is starting to agree ....

Reply to Carol

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-07-19

Yes, I too would like to know. My 13 cats are on Hills and Purina One which they love but they are as expensive now as the Hills not when I started by giving it to them but now it costs R86 for a 2kg bag! The 2kg lasts for 2 days and the Hills for 14 days for a 10kg (I think) bag. My 5 dogs are on Ultra dog which is something like nearly R400. Are there certain " outlets"  if I can put it that way where one can pay less. Someone said something like Montego is good but my one GSD is very allergic to certain food brands and itches constantly if he gets anything strange/new. It is getting ridiculous all these rising prices and they go up at a high level.

Reply to Cat Lady