Question
Posted by: Jen | 2011-02-15

Pet medical aid

I''d like to know if pet medical aid is worth it, or is it just a waste of money?

If you have a large breed dog / puppy it's advisable or if you have a breed that is predisposed to problems ie Daschund with back problems . Sod's law says you have it and you will never use it and if you don't have it you will need it.

6
Posted by: Chill | 2011-02-17

Pre-existing conditions (as well as routine vaccinations, dewormings, defleaing etc) are excuded from cover. Since hip dysplasia is a genetic condition, they won''t pay for it, because the pup will have been born with it even though it hasn''t shown up yet.

Pet medical aids are nothing more than a gimmick, in my opinion.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-02-17

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Jen | 2011-02-16

Thanks, guys! This is helpful. Since I have 2 dogs and a cat, it''s probably best if I just avoid it and set up a savings account for them, going by your feedback!

Reply to Jen
Posted by: ICE | 2011-02-16

That said. My 3 year old boxer has just sustained an cruciate ligament injury - if she''s going to need surgery, I will probably wish that I took out the medical insurance when I investigated it a couple of years ago...

Reply to ICE
Posted by: ICE | 2011-02-16

I agree with Nicole. Pet Medical Aids also stops paying for anything when the pet gets about 8 years old - just when the medical problems start cropping up. In other words it is only good for accidental injury sustained during the animal''s " young and healthy"  years...

Reply to ICE
Posted by: Nicole | 2011-02-15

This is just my opinion but unless you have a dog that has a chronic condition (that will last most of it''s life) it''s not worth it. The ones that I looked at don''t pay for any of the day to day stuff like vaccinations or spaying. If you have more than one animal, the cost of paying every month for the pet medical aid is probably better spent by paying off a credit card so that you have a facility to pay for unexpected vet bills that may crop up. Once again, just my opinion.

Reply to Nicole