Question
Posted by: nobbysbev | 2006-01-14

Q.

pet-friendly mouse deterrent

I have a problem with a mouse ( or two!! ) in my house. I do not have a cat anymore because my dogs killed her, and I am too nervous to get another cat lest the same happen again.
Now I am not sure wether to use Rat-poison to get rid of the mice, because I'm scared that the poisoned mouse/rat will go outside and the dogs might get hold of it.
BTW - my dogs are a pair of German Shepherds.
Do you knowof any way that I can get rid of the mouse without harming my dogs??

Expert's Reply

A.

Hi There

Yes you could put a mouse trap down. It kills the mouse instantly and there is no poison lying around. It is not very enjoyable for us as humans, but it is better than the poison. You could possibly try and use a small box trap, i.e. box with food inside and as soon as the mouse takes the food of the lever, the door shuts behind it.

Hope you are successful.

CDV
Animal Behaviourist

6
user comments

C.

Posted by: Lissa | 2006-01-15

Absolutely agree Songbird, its a great feeling watching the little thing scamper away, knowing you saved it froma rather horrible death.

of course, dont be silly enough to set it free in your back garden or close to home! :-)

Reply to Lissa
Posted by: Chill | 2006-01-15

Mouse traps are very nasty things, because you then have to deal with the little murdered corpse. But I do agree that when they work properly, they're probably the kindest way to deal with mice.

The trouble is that they very often don't work properly. I've sat with this problem before, when a mouse is caught by a leg, which is obviously crushed, and it's not dead. Or when just its nose is caught, and there are all frothy bubbles around that tell you no way did it die instantly. I don't mean to be too graphic, but I've had to deal with this on a number of occasions and I hate it.

By the way... I heard somewhere that mice hate mint, but I really don't know if they hate it enough to move out - worth a try, maybe? Get some peppermint oil or something... and let us know if it works!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Songbird | 2006-01-15

I agree with Lissa 100% and quite enjoy going to set our little friends free again.

Reply to Songbird
Posted by: Lissa | 2006-01-15

Personally i hate rat traps, as its an awful way for the little animal to die. Mind you, so is Rattex and all the other products on the market today that are the same,. But not all people want to catch the mice and relocate them i guess.
Anyway, if you want to catch the mice in the most human way - you can buy small mouse traps calle a "mouse Depot' and the mouse will go into it to get the food and the door closes, and... the mouse is still alive. it does take a little more effort than just killing it and poisoning it,. up to you!

Reply to Lissa
Posted by: Janet | 2006-01-14

Why don't you just try rat traps, as these are the cheapest, and most enviroment friendly to use. You can get them at local hardware and spar stores for around R5. Good luck.

Reply to Janet
Posted by: Chill | 2006-01-14

Yep. Get stuff called Racumin. It's not quite as easy to get hold of as the normal rattex, but it's eco-friendly, which means that if, for example, an owl catches a rodent that's already eaten the stuff, it also won't die.

Only thing is that the mice have to have more than one feed of this stuff, unlike Rattex. So, you'll have to select a good spot where the mice will visit again.

I believe that racumin is made by Bayer, and that Mica stores are most likely to have it.

Good thinking, by the way - lots of people would be concerned about their pets not gaining access to the actual poison, but relatively few think of the knock-on effect of the pet eating a mouse that's ingested the stuff. Not to mention the owls and other wildlife that prey on rodents!

Reply to Chill

Want to comment?