Question
Posted by: Valerio Beserra | 2010/02/27

Personality Disorder

How to deal with a Boderline/Narcisistic personality dosrder?

With very great difficulty, to be frank.
Apart from the unpleasantness of the psychopath / Antisoial Personality Disorder, Borderline or Narcissistic personality disorders can be very difficult to deal with. Especially the eay a Borderline personality may switch between extremes in their relationships with others.
But broad generalizations are not very useful - much depends on the individual characteristics of the person with the PD, and with who is dealing with them and in what way.
Either or both dosirders are difficult to deal with in therapy, and need a skilled and experienced psychotherapist, who can handle their difficult behaviours.

3
Posted by: Valerio | 2010/02/28

I concluded my Honours BA in (Clinical) Psychology and have been working myself in therapy to be able to apply my knowledge objectively. The person in question, Mr J., 58, presents all the symptoms for a Borderline/Narcisitic personality disorder. He is on pills, but I doubt that the pills alone are helping much. Worse, he has a long-term partner, Mr. P, 72, who has been recently diagnosed with parkinson''s disease. The latter is stable with the usual tremors of hands sorted out, the cognitive aspects are excelent. Yet, Mr J can be very manipulative and abusive towards Mr. P, any mistake that Mr P makes, he tells everybody that is result of parkison''s disease. I wish I could find a way to persuade Mr. J to start psychotherapy but he antagonizes me, as part of his " black/white"  thinking or the splitting part of the personality. Which other avenues can we recurr too?

Reply to Valerio

Posted by: Maria | 2010/02/27

Have you been diagnosed with it, or are you trying to deal with someone else who has it? A bit more information would be helpful.

Reply to Maria