Posted by: lost | 2009-10-06

personality disorder

my 14 yr old step daughter was diagnosed after a few sessions with a psychiatrist with bipolar. she was also diagnosed with bulimia and spent a few weeks in a psychiatric ward. her behaviour is destructive with threats of suicide. she is on medication for the bipolar. even after all the trouble we went through and the cost to help her she continues to be rude and agressive towards us. we are doubtful that her condition is bipolar becuase we have never experience any extreme highs and lows on her part other than rudeness. si it possible for her to have been misdiagnosed? the psychologist she was seeing who referred her to a phychiatrist said she possibly had BPD. and this would make more sense to me as our expereince over the last few years would indicate some kind of problem with her personality. she is also milking the bipolar for all its worth. blamin rude behaviour on the condition and upsetting guests when she sits at the table prentending to be on the verge of tears for no reason at all.i am on the verge of leaving the marriage after 6 years of suporting them because of this. it is unpleasant to be around her and in turn in the house.

Diagnosing bipolar disorder in a kid of 14 is difficult, and even controversial in some quarters. But from your comments she does sound like a very disturbed young girl, and it's just as well that she's seeing a good child shrink locally for full assessment. At this age many kids with no other problems, are difficult, rude and surly, so part of the problems you're experiencing may be normal exaggerated by her experiences and her disorders.
Buit a diagnosis of bipolar disorder does need to be based on a specified range of symptoms, and definitely not only on rude behaviour ( which is almost universal among young teens ) DO indeed get a second opinion, and specifically from a child psychiatrist using modern international diagnostic criteria

Posted by: almost mad | 2009-10-06

Shame. She sounds really depressed as well. I understand it is hard but please dont abandon her. She needs her family

Reply to almost mad