Question
Posted by: Hans the general | 2012/02/17

..personal fulfillment AND successful career...fact or fiction?..

..ive read some motivational books and stories of some people who manage to make personal fulfillment AND a successful career into a single achievement, where the 2 actually exist only because of the other..

1st, some background about why im posting this...the past week has been probably the most frustrating week at work for me for me ever!...ok basically i spent the last 2yrs building a very nice, professional relationship with a super-difficult client who coordinates support for the rest of her very influencial, high-level exec/management team...being quite the difficult and clinical bastard myself, this coordinator and i have locked horns many times but eventually she toned down her abrupt manner and for months now, approached me directly with any requirements handled by my team...the rest of my team generally avoid her and cringe when she calls, but of course im the only 1 she''ll speak to anyway...the other day she''s kicking butt in her department for not getting things done quickly/accurately enough and turns to me for some ideas...i quickly bang out a sparkling email which circulates among the bigshots, they like what i have to say and request a sit-down to hear some more...i relay this development to my manager who gets included last on a list of meeting attendees where my name is right on top with a bunch of bigshot names between us, the kinda names in our company that are used as threats,...like " dont do that or il tell (name)!" ...and, " please stop doing that, (name) will catch you!" ....hehe, anyway...

..without hesitating or even talking to me about it, she asks for my exclusion from this sit-down and the inlcusion of my teamleader instead...now i dont mind that he was included coz really, he out-rank''s me but my manager couldve at least let me sit in on something that developed from my suggestions, the relationship that i built and the the clear interest and potential they see in my methods!...geez, i wouldve been chuffed just to be at that table, just for the exposure!...my manager''s like a bull in a china shop and i have a feeling that things are gonna go sour between the teams again very soon...where i would reiterate existing practices and show how we can easily fine-tune these practices to suit woteva the requirement may be at any time, she resorts to brute force and sheer loudness to keep a single process in place for scenario''s which are becoming very tricky even for them...thats why i think our team is easy to target for various mishaps...and why we''re treated like the " peasants"  of the company so thanks, but no thanks!...now, back to my question...

..before i joined this circus over 2yrs ago when i was retrenched and desperately looking for work, a very successful business owner that i happen to be aquainted with gave me some advice, which i just took as advice at the time but now starting to believe...he told me that, " instead of just finding something to do for a living, why not do what you love doing while you''re just living, then you would get up everyday and still do it simply coz you love it, not coz you have bills to pay...hey, if you do what you love then therez no limits, therez no ceilings to your success coz therez no pressure when you do what you love, i mean you''d rather be doing that than anything else anyway right!" ...then this 40yr old self-made millionaire lit the joint we were sharing, took a couple deep puffs and spat over the balcony of his 5-storie home that cascades down the side of a mountain slope, returned to the -|- tail party he was hosting that evening...we''re always randomly bumping into each other as we have mutual friends and we had a cool chat again last wkend, he just got back from overseeing renovations to an apartment building that he recently purchased, in Rome!...omw i almost smacked the guy off his chair for being so calm but i think the jet-lag was screwing with his mood! anyway, is that really what happens when you do what you love and you do it all the time? does your success really not have a limit?...im 30 now, single with no kidz and no big responsibilities, i dont have anything to lose and i really dont wanna waste my 30''s simply making a living, i wanna do what i love and not even think about the money coz it seems the money will come out of its own when you''d still be doing what you''re doing for no money..

..ive been toying with the idea of doing something completely different coz geez, i gave my 20''s to this industry and this is NOT where i saw myself at age 30...is this other thing possible though?...can i simply do what i love and make it work?...or did the universe only favor a select few with that gift?

Wow. Now, if I chareged by the word for reading really long posts, I'd be significantly richer by now. I'm sceptical of motivational books, most of which exist purely in order to make more money for the authors.
Sounds like an unhealthy organization, and a naive and incompetent ( and terribly easily threatened ) manager. Everyone would have benefitted from having you present for a meeting basically intended to discuss what were essentially your creative ideas. And the more intelligent among the top brass will notice, and wonder why your bosses felt so scared of you.
Nobody's success is unlimited. It is, where practical, more desirable to be doing a job you love, something you'd want to continue doing for free if you were independently wealthy enough not to need to get paid. But we can't all manage to find such an opportunity, though its well worth looking out for at all times. The money doesn't always automatically arrive,
Remember, the easiest way to make a million in business, is to start with 5 million. The billionaire John Paul Getty once said the secret to becoming rich was "Get up early, work late, and discover oil".
Sometimes, its wisest to do whatever pays the best, and in one's spare tiome, to do what one loves, until it becomes viably self-sustaining.
In my practice over many years, I have known surprisingly few happy millionaires, and each seemed sure the next million would be what'd make them happy, and it never was

2

Posted by: Phil | 2012/02/17

Doing what you love  does not always reward you in monetary values hey...
Success and HAPPYNESS is not really measured in how rich you are. People that have really figured it out  knows that sometimes it''s the simple things that make you happy.
I''m not suggesting that you don''t need money to be happy. I''m just saying that you don''t have to be rich to be happy. I am often humbled by people doing charity work  with old or sick people. With animals..
I sometimes say to people around me. If I had 50 million right now  it would not have changed what I was doing. Kids  the blue skies  a beer shandy  love  health  piece and serrenity.

Just another way to look at things....

But that rich guy  what he said to you is so true and valuable free advice...

Reply to Phil