Question
Posted by: Ant | 2008/10/05

Personal apointment, weight gain

I would like to see the diet doc on a personla capacity with regards to working out a diet or something to pick up weight, I am a 21 year old rugby player at 1.85 and 80kg, ideally i really want to weigh more as firstly i need it for performance in my sport and secondly also to not have a skinny general look i have used so many supplements on the market etc but cant seem to pick up weigt, really do struggle... will this be at all possible?? or otherwise maybe suggest someone i can see in joburg or pretoria area pls. would be very much appreciated

Dear Ant
I can unfortunately not see private clients. But I can recommend that you see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help work out a diet for you that helps you to gain weight. In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read these articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. You may also find the articles on Sports Nutrition helpful. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women'.