Question
Posted by: Jason | 2011-08-26

Persistent heartburn

Dear Dr Burger

A few years ago, I started to experience more and more heartburn - even when I was excercising. Initially I tried to deal with it by taking gaviscon, but because of it being so expensive to use continually, I went to my GP and he prescribed Altosec. He said to stop using gaviscon because it could lead to other complications. Within 2 days, I no longer had any heartburn issues - but within a few days of ending the treatment (3-6 months), the symptoms reappeared - burning sensation in my chest that would often cause me to start coughing uncontrollably. Should I be concerned about having an ulcer and why did the pain stop after taking Altosec?

Jason

Altosec is very good for the treatment of a peptic ulcer but often there is an infection present, namely H.Pylori. You should consider having a gastroscopy done and you might receive a prescription for antibiotics and Altosec for another 6 months.