Posted by: Shelley | 2012-07-10

Persistent cough 3 weeks after flu

I had flu over 3 weeks ago, I was on 2 different antibiotics and also cortizone.

All other flu symptoms seemed to clear except post nasal drip and this persistent cough. Coughing is worse in the early morning and at night after I go to bed. Sometimes it is productive and I cough up a little clear mucus, sometimes it is like a spasm in my chest and I cannot stop. Then other times (night especially) I get this horrid tickle in my throat and cough till I gag and want to vomit.

I also have a sore throat off and on. I am currently using otrivin nasal spray and a cough suppressant syrup.

What can I do to get over this cough? Should I be worried and perhaps go back to the doctor?

I do not think that you should be concerned. It is obvious that you have sinusitis with a post nasal drip and the cough can be due to mucous irritating your throat or due to a viral bronchitis. I suggest that you reconsult your doctor for an examination and medication.