Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2010-09-17

Persistant cough and painful foot

I''d like to ask two things.

I caught a cold almost a month ago and have been coughing for 3 weeks. I''ve been to the doctor thre times over these three weeks. First, I got an asthma puffer that helped just a little bit. A week later, I got a DM syrup that didn\t change anything, and on Tuesday I got antibiotics and Codeine (codeine phos 5mg/ml). I''ve been on these two medications since but I don''t see a difference either. I am very surprised because antibiotics usually work right away with me. My cough is mostly dry (I keep clearing my throat but when I cough there isn''t a significant amount of phlem). If I don''t talk, I can go hours without coughing, but if I do talk, then I can have coughing fits that last around 5-10 minutes. My doctor says my lungs sound clear. Why so much coughing?

My other problem is that I have a painful foot. It''s the joint between my big toe and my foot. I don''t remember doing anything that may have caused this. It''s been hurting for about a week, today more than usual. I can move it well, but would an oinment help with the pain?

Thank you so much!

Patricia

It is possible that you have sinusitis which causes a post-nasal drip, in turn causing the cough. Ask your doctor to examine you for sinusitis. Another possibility is that you have a post-viral bronchitis cough and an inhaler like Ipvent could alleviate your symptoms.

For your foot, you can ask your doctor for blood tests to rule gout out.