Posted by: Irony | 2013-02-04

Pernicious Anemia

Both my mom and I have this (mom 71) me (47).
We have a Vitamin B12 every Friday and take 30mg Iron per day. We stop and there is that fatigue. She was below 7 now up to 9 and I was below 9 now up to 11.
Can we keep on doing this safely?
We eat a varied diet but are not fond of red meat at all - we eat mince about once every 2 weeks. Mostly chicken and fish (we save our pennies and buy freshly caught fish like kabeljou, kingklip, sole, tuna and calamari. We found that a powerful multi-vit and mineral supplement did nothing for us so I am relying on the food we eat (salads, fruits, lean proteins, cheese, oats,) not much bread and the injections and iron to do the trick - it works for us but can we overdo it? I tell you that fatigue makes you want to sleep at work and feels like you are walking through syrup.

Vitamin B12 can not be overdosed. Your body will safely excrete the Vitamin B12 that is not used. Vitamin B12 needs vary in patients with pernicious anemia. Some patients get by with only one Vitamin B12 injection oer month. Continue with your diet and consult your doctor when necessary.