Posted by: Ano | 2009-01-29

Perminent cough?

Hi. I have a cough that just doesnt wana go away. Its not a bad cough and mostly happends when my chest area gets cold. A long time ago i had the same thing so my doctor gave me a preventer pump and told me to use Phensedyl, after this it went away but not too long ago came back, so i started with just Phensedyl again and the cough went away for a short while then came back again. I was told by the pharmacist to not use phensedyl a lot as it contains too much of something (cant remember what)
What could the problem be?

Dear Ano
Phensedyl is just symptomatic treatment and can cause constipation and addiction, so I agree with your pharmacist. If you have asthma, causing the cough you need to be on proper asthma treatment, if it is an infection you need antibiotics. Ask your doctor to examine you and to send you for a lung function test and X/rays if needed to determine the cause of the chronic cough.