Posted by: Nish | 2009-03-28

I am employed for just over a year on a permi-flex basis with the possibility of becoming permanent. I thoroughly enjoy my job even though the money is just not that great but I' m managing. Recently the hotel has gone thru sum drastic cost-cutting exercises. Now i find myself working only 15 days a month, previously it was between 8-10. My monthly salary is less R1500 which realy puts me in a difficult situation. Does the company have a right to do this to me? I know things are tough but I have a budget that I survived on for the past year &  now I have to make drastic changes. Please advise. Much appreciated.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

The first question to ask is whether the company belongs to a bargaining council, if they do not belong to a bargaining council then they can only go on short time by agreement. If you have agreed then this is in order.