Posted by: Amy | 2012-04-24

Permethrin Poisoning

We treated our cats and dogs with Frontline a while ago. Three weeks later the dogs still had fleas and I applied Bob Martin Spot-on on them which cured the problem. On Friday morning I spotted a flea on one of the cats and not knowing how toxic it is for cats, I divided the remaining Bob Martin Spot-on for dogs between the 2 cats. The evening when we got home from work, the smaller one of the 2 cats wasn’ t well. He was drooling, seemed to have breathing problems, was very jumpy and the skin on his back was irritated. As the vet was already closed I just tried to remove the product from his back with a wet sponge. The next morning we couldn’ t find him anywhere. Late Saturday afternoon (when the vet was closed again) he returned home. He wasn’ t drooling and didn’ t seem to have breathing problems anymore. Although he still seemed very anxious he gulped down some food. Although he still seems a bit anxious and this lower back is still twitching every once in a while, he is improving by the day and there is nothing wrong with his appetite. Should I still take him to the vet? It is about 100 hours since applying the product and I don’ t want to traumatise him further by taking him to the vet unnecessary. The bigger of the 2 cats doesn’ t seem to be affected at all.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Hi Amy

My advise would be to take him to you vet and get him checked over as permethrin poisoning can be fatal.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Joan | 2012-04-24

Yes, permethrin is poisonous to cats. Is absorbed in cats, and cats do not tolerate. Ideally wash the cat fast with dishwashing liquid. As far as I can get information, the cat is over the worst. Many cats, if dose too high, may not make it even with treatment. Skin will be sensitive for some time. If he is eating, not drooling, not trembling - keep an eye on him. If situation changes, take to vet. Twitching will continue for some time at the area. A lesson for pet owners - NEVER use a product on a cat that is not registered for cats. A cat is NOT a small dog. Also please ALWAYS read the labels and make sure the right dose is given. Pass this message on, and it may save more cats.

Reply to Joan

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.