Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/10/29

Permanent Blocked Nose

Hi Dr. As long as I can remember I have had sinus drip, but through the years it has become worse. Now there is not a day that I do not have a blocked nose. Everytime I swallow it is just flem. I have been on all sorts of meds and nothing seems to help, as soon as the course is done the problem returns.
What can be done?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lee

You are most likely suffering from some sort of allergic reaction, which indicates an over reaction by your nose to environmental factors or foodstuffs. If this is the case, no medication can cure this, it can only be managed with permanent medication.
In order to make a diagnosis, you will need an examination by an ENT. This could also be due to the enlargement of certain structures in the nose, that would require surgical intervention if indicated. This will not cure allergies if that is present, but it will be easier to control your symptoms.