Posted by: Frustrated | 2009-01-07

Perm offer and increase offer withdrawn

I work for an australian company. I have been temping since april 2007. they offered me perm appointment and an increase in August this year, but with the financial crisis, they withdrew the offer. They notified me in December that ' non-essencial staff'  will not be hired. I am still temping at this company. I have never received an increase since i have been working here ( you can imagine my desperation with rising prices!)

I never received anything in wriiting as they made a verbal offer, and said they would get the offer on paper together...which never came through.

Can you offer any advice. Do i have a leg to stand on? What can i do?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You do not have a right to receive an increase, however it appears that you have a right to permanent employ. You can refer this matter to the CCMA.

Posted by: shocked... | 2009-01-13

They sleep quite peacfully...believe you me. I see the same thing at the company i work for...and you right " me too"  we up against the odds..

Reply to shocked...
Posted by: Me too | 2009-01-08

Welcome 2 the club. At my previous place of employment we got no increases from 2001 to 2005 due to " adverse economic conditions" . During this time the boss built himself a multi million rand beach house. Some of us enquired about the legality of this but it got us nowhere because there were no written contracts regarding increases, bonuses etc. One year we got a letter 4 days after xmas stating that due to " adverse economic conditions"  there were no bonuses. I often wonder how these bosses sleep at night. Ur up against the odds but I wish u well.

Reply to Me too