Question
Posted by: TTT | 2011/06/15

periods and pregnancy

hi, I was underweight so I did not have periods. I am now 28 years old. my doctor suggested me to take yasmin untli my weight goes up. I have been on yasmin for 3 years. I stopped taking it in September last year and my weight also went up, it was " normal"  since december, but I got my period only this month. My husband and I want to have children. do you think it is safe for us to try now or shall I wait for few months to see if period is normal? May I also ask you please, I have heard that drinkng grean tea is bad when wanting to fall pregnant and during pregnancy, I drink 3-4 cups a day, is it really bad, shall I stop completely drinking it or can I still have a cup or two a day?Thank you very much in advance

Dear TTT

The menstrual pattern going forward would be extremely important in planning a pregnancy and I would therefore recommend that you monitor your cycles over the next 3-4 months. During this stage you could continue ovulation monitoring using the urine LH testing kits. I would strongly recommend that you have further hormone evaluation tests done and in particular to exclude the possibility of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or pituitary related problems such as Prolactin or thyroid malfunction. With regards to green tea I do not have first hand knowledge of the action but it has been proposed that it does increase the metabolic rate for this reason it may have some negative effect on thyroid function which in turn may interfere with conception. However I believe also that it has different effects on different individuals and certainly further studies would have to be done to resolve this matter.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/06/24

Dear TTT

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert